Harlem Wizards slam dunk Dream Team in 2nd annual showdown

PUCKER UP:  A member of the Harlem Wizards leans in for a kiss during the 2015 Harlem Wizards basketball game at North Penn High School. The game was the 2nd annual booster club sponsored event held in the NPHS gymnasium.

Brooke McCoy

PUCKER UP: A member of the Harlem Wizards leans in for a kiss during the 2015 Harlem Wizards basketball game at North Penn High School. The game was the 2nd annual booster club sponsored event held in the NPHS gymnasium.

Siena Catanzaro, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – On Saturday evening, the North Penn High School gymnasium was filled with a sold out audience for a basketball game, but this game was an event unlike any other. From the purple and yellow uniforms to the flips and tricks, the Harlem Wizards dominated the court with their interactive and comical routines. The Harlem Wizards came to North Penn High School last January and played against the North Penn School District’s “The Dream Team.” After a tough loss last year, the Dream Team was ready for the rematch. Before even walking into the gymnasium, spectators could hear the loud music and screams from the audience as they watched both teams warm up. North Penn High School’s JROTC presented the flags, and North Penn High School Senior Rebecca Grande sang the national anthem. North Penn School District teachers on The Dream Team were then announced.

Team members include: Dr. Dietrich, Superintendent NPSD; Jeff Ellsesser, teacher, Bridle Path; Kim Cusano, teacher, Gwyn-Nor; Treena Sadler, teacher, Gwyn Nor; Debbie Williams, teacher, Gwyn Nor; Bridget Patterson, teacher, Inglewood; Zach Quigley, teacher, Inglewood; Meghan Smith, teacher, Kulp; James Holloran, teacher, Montgomery; Kyle Richhart, teacher, Montgomery; Michael Coulter, teacher, Nash; Christopher Calhoun, teacher, Nash; Joe Covone, principal, North Wales; Tom Narzisi, teacher, Oak Park; Victoria Geppert, teacher, Walton Farm; Matt Basilii, teacher, Walton Farm; Stacie Moseley, principal, York Avenue; Cara Weinberg, teacher, York Avenue; Brian Haley, teacher, NPHS; Gino Santoro, staff, NPHS.

Audience members were cheering loudly for their teachers. Some had their favorite teacher’s face on a big poster and were holding it high in the air. The Harlem Wizards then were introduced and came running through the smoke into the gymnasium. The Wizards Team included, Arnold Bernard (A-Train), Eric Jones (Broadway), LaMarvon Jackson (Showtime), Timothy TJ Stukes (Tomahawk), Leon Sewell (Space Jam), and Devon Curry (Livewire). Full of energy and enthusiasm, the players were interactive with the audience and had them clapping and singing along to many pop hits that played throughout the game.

HEY COACH! NP Dream Team coach Gino Santoro rallies his team before the Harlem Wizards game on January 31, 2015 at NPHS.
Brooke McCoy

“Tonight was hosted by the North Penn High School Booster Club. We have a fund here at North Penn called Title IX and it supports women athletics. So we try to come up with some fundraisers that support them. We have a trivia night in the fall which also supports the Title IX program. We have the Harlem Wizards now that supports this fund as well. It’s a great community event,” said new Athletic Director, Bill Bartle. “We have a lot of young kids come out. I really like to thank the elementary school teachers, and Dr. Dietrich, without them this program would not nearly be as successful.”

The Harlem Wizards vs. The Dream Team game varied from a typical North Penn basketball game. There were four quarters each eight minutes long that had unexpected pauses for dancing, cheering, and slam dunking. Halfway through the first quarter, A – Train, one of the Wizards took an audience member’s purse out onto the court. This caused a delay of game and also kisses on his cheek to get the purse back. At the end of the first period, the Wizards led 16-11.

“I enjoy doing it because I like putting smiles on people’s faces and I just love traveling and love entertaining,” said Arnold Bernard, otherwise known as A-Train. Before he joined the Wizards, Bernard played many years of high school and college basketball at Southwest Missouri State, earning many championship titles. Bernard, along with 185 other players also tried out for the Globetrotters. Bernard earned one of the two spots on the team and played for the team for a couple years before he found his home at the Wizards in 1999.

In the break between the first and second quarter, the North Penn High School Cheerleaders performed then the Wizards hosted the Phenomenal Fan Challenge. They picked a lucky audience member out of the crowd; blind folded the young boy named David and had him search for the Wizards merchandise surrounding half court. In one minute, David picked up a Wizards flat hat and a Wizards themed basketball that he got to keep.
Audience member and parent of Walton Farm students, Alan Warner enjoyed what the night had to offer.

“I enjoy the good nature of the players besides being good athletes they’re out here to promote basketball and promote a lot of fun. I like how they are treating the kids and the audience and stuff. It’s all positive, it’s good,” said Warner.

A NPSD elementary school student participates in some of the Wizards trickery.
Brooke McCoy

In the middle of the second quarter, the Wizards turned the basketball game into a football game. Lining the players up and throwing the basketball for a touchdown, the spectators and kids were entertained by this comical twist. Throughout each quarter, the Wizard players were slam dunking, throwing half court shots and executing fast passing plays. The second quarter ends with the Wizards leading 34-27.
Halftime included the North Penn High School’s Dance Team to perform as well as the Wizard’s Halftime Show. This included the game, “You’ve Been Tricked.” The players picked thirteen kids from the audience and had them stand in a circle around half court. The Wizard player would pass them the ball and if they dropped it, the crowd would yell, “You’ve been tricked,” and the child would go take a seat. The last person in the circle won Wizards’ merchandise.
“All the faculty, Wizards, students and audience members are having a great time. I feel cheated. If I had known we would be having this much fun, I would have worn my big wig and my big pink hat with furry hearts on it. So next year maybe,” said Michael Colter, a K-4 emotional support, learning support and autistic support teacher at Nash Elementary School.
Before the third quarter started, the Wizards gave the Dream Team a 17 point lead now making the score 44-34. The Wizards quickly came back and took the lead again with their “slamtastic” shots. Sticking their heads through the nets and almost flipping through the net, the Wizard players kept every moment interesting. From jumping over players heads to the variety of slam dunks, audience members left the game in awe.

SPIN THAT BALL - An audience member gets a lesson in Harlem Wizardry on Saturday night.
Brooke McCoy
SPIN THAT BALL – An audience member gets a lesson in Harlem Wizardry on Saturday night.

Heading into the last quarter, the Wizards brought all kids out onto the court for a big dance party. The electric energy and enthusiasm never left the court the entire night. Kids were smiling and dancing along with the music as parents were taking pictures and capturing their kids being so happy and entertained.

“I think everyone will walk away tonight with some great memories because these guys are great and fun to watch and it’s humorous and just a good time all around. And it’s good clean family entertainment,” said North Penn High School principal, Burton T. Hynes.

The last few minutes of the fourth quarter included the Wizards players getting their pants pulled down and confetti and streamers being shot into the air. Although the Wizards won the game 81-77, the night was fun and entertaining enough that everyone left feeling like a winner.