Doc of ages: Generations turn out to thank North Penn’s Doc Ryan

Video courtesy of North Penn Television

THANKS DOC! North Penn athletes surround athletic director Don Ryan, during his retirement tribute at NPHS on January 9th.

Brooke McCoy

Evan Hayes, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Every person sitting in the bleachers sat still, the faces of student athletes stared forward with quiet reverence, and a row of speakers sat in a line waiting to share their reflections. Words such as immeasurable, genuine, hard working, calm, and collected still echoed through the rafters above, silenced in respect. Even the air outside the gym sat waiting quietly, like every single person in attendance. Then Donald C. Ryan walked into the gymnasium, and the room exploded.

Thunderous applause roared in the ears of Doc as he made his way into the room, slowly but confidently. The celebration had not even technically started yet, as the sports teams were being called into the outside auditorium. But for a crowd anxious to honor a living legend of North Penn on Friday night, premature celebration was perfectly acceptable. Hundreds had gathered to pay tribute to Doc, packing the stands with well-wishers, armed with glow sticks and Doc face signs. All twenty-two sports teams also gathered during the time between the Girls’ and Boys’ basketball games for a night of remembrance, and after being escorted to his office chair at the center of it all by Ms. Law and Mrs. Seeders, the festivities began.

Doc’s years of service were highlighted over the loudspeakers, detailing his forty-six years of service to North Penn and listing the momentous volume of achievements that the athletic program has been able to reach during his time at the helm. The sports teams of North Penn then all proceeded to process in, holding homemade signs above their heads and circling around the man of the hour on the boundary lines of the basketball courts. This included the Boys and Girls Cross Country, Tennis, Golf, Volleyball, Soccer, Water Polo, Swimming and Diving, Bowling, Winter and Spring Track and Field, Basketball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Cheerleading, Football, Wrestling, Softball, Baseball, and Special Olympic teams.

The celebration proceeded on, and five different speakers stood and gave their own words of gratitude to Doc. The first up was North Penn School District Superintendent, Dr. Curt Dietrich, who highlighted Doc’s importance and cooperation within the administration of the District, and the leadership he exhibited from his position over the years. Dr. Dietrich was grateful for Doc’s judgement over the years, and knew that he would always put the kids first when it came down to the choices he made.

“Doc has been incredibly important to our school, and as the superintendent, I was always in full trust of Doc Ryan. His judgement was incredible and impeccable, and I enjoyed all the time we had together. I would often stop and visit with Doc, and we would talk about things and enjoy the successes of our school,” Dietrich said, smiling fondly in remembrance. “He just always had a great way about him, where he was calm and even keeled, and I trusted him. I knew that if a matter was in his hands he would solve in in the right kind of way, and it was very rare during all my years as superintendent that I would get any appeal about a decision that Doc Ryan made, because his decisions were always sound and what was best for the kids. I appreciate that, and I wish him the very best in his retirement.”

The next person to speak was long time PIAA basketball official and Executive Board member of the North Penn PIAA Basketball Officials Chapter, Tommy Blackwell, a close friend of Doc’s over their many years of interaction. Blackwell thanked Doc on behalf of officials from all sports in the PIAA, pointing out that Doc has met and been the ambassador for over 10,000 officials during his time as athletic director. He thanked him for his “professionalism, respect, and hospitality” towards officials, and wished him a happy retirement on behalf of officials everywhere, giving his friend a warm hug.

Eddie Posavec stood next and thanked Doc on behalf of bevy of student athletes that Doc has kept a watchful eye on over the years. Posavec, a 2013 graduate and student at Binghamton University, thanked Doc for genuinely caring for every student athlete and their experience in the athletic program over the years, and for being a mentor to all of the teams as they achieved their different levels of success. But, most importantly, he thanked Doc for his efforts towards making sure that athletes also succeeded as students, something that made Doc such a heavily revered figure. He made it his mission to help his athletes achieve success on and off the court.

The fourth speaker to stand was Mr. Burt Hynes, principal of North Penn High School. He thanked doc on behalf of all of North Penn High School, and for being the person behind the coaches who supported and advised them in their decisions. He highlighted Doc’s wisdom and responsibility in his decisions, and when asked of Doc’s impact on North Penn, spoke directly of the legacy that Doc is leaving behind for the future.

“I’m just very grateful for Doc’s support and his leadership. This athletic program would not be where it is today without his vision and his leadership, and that is something we are going to miss dearly,” said Hynes. “Doc has created a great legacy, and we have another great athletic director waiting in the wings in Mr. Bartle, so I am sure we will be able to continue the tradition of success that Doc has established.”

As coaches made their way outside to the gym lobby, the always entertaining and energetic Ted Heller made his way toDoc. Heller, a teacher in the music department of North Penn and past director of the North Penn High School Marching Band, brought Doc’s wife, Nancy Ryan, up to stand with her husband. Continuing his trend of singing to retirees, Heller got the audience to join him in a rendition of the 1977 Queen classic, “We Will Rock You”, Doc Ryan style. Amidst a pulsing beat kept by the student athletes and a chorus of “We will, we will, miss you,” Heller rapped about Doc’s achievements, leadership style, and legacy, ending holding Doc’s hand high to a standing ovation from the crowd.

Mrs. Melanie Seeders next presented Doc with two gifts from the athletic department of North Penn High School. The sports teams gave Doc a quilt made of a team t-shirt from each individual team and a generous gift for him to enjoy Phillies Spring training, a trip that he has planned with his wife to celebrate his retirement.

The man of the hour was the last to speak, and started by thanking everyone in attendance for their efforts in putting the entire celebration together. In his typical fashion, Doc deflected praise towards those individuals who worked beside him over his career, thanking current assistant athletic directors, Mr. Dan Huston and Mrs. Seeders, and athletic secretary, Ms. Linda Law, and also thanked his wife Nancy for all of her support for him throughout his career. He assured the crowd of the incoming athletic director, Mr. Bill Bartle’s, abilities and enthusiasm, but noted that “I’m going to have to give Bill some suspenders and a lot of blue ties.” Doc was also confident that the young athletes he has guided will continue to represent North Penn in such a high quality after he leaves, and stated that he always tried to “represent North Penn to the community and state, and to show them what a great school North Penn is and will continue to be.”

Doc thanked his mentor, previous athletic director James Crawford Sr., and explained that, while at a basketball when he was an assistant athletic director, Mr. Crawford said to him, “Now Donald, you have to remember that officials can’t have a good night every night.” This trait will arguably be what Doc is remembered for the most, as his calm demeanor never seemed to waver, even on the day he retired.

The program ended with the Doc passing a sword to Mr. Bartle, symbolically and literally handing over the reins. The applause that erupted was deafening, the sounds of thanks, gratitude, and reverence echoed through the gym, the halls of North Penn, and throughout the surrounding neighborhoods. That sound will hang in the rafters for years to come, just as Doc Ryan’s legacy will as well.

Ryan is a legend, a figurehead, and simply a great man. Through his words and actions, he cast his light brightly on the athletes he mentored through the years, and never stopped working for every single North Penn High School athlete, whether they knew it or not. The success that he presided over while at North Penn were second to none, and he is a shining example to every student who came through the halls of North Penn. Donald Ryan will be an example for athletes for generations to come, who can learn not only how to act on the court, but how to succeed in all areas of life: keep a level head, and never accept less than your absolute best.