Bus takes NP community members to the future

Katie Kratz

TO THE FUTURE! Neal and Barbarann Voron depart the Bus to the Future at North Penn High School on Friday, November 14, 2014.

Madison Wiernusz, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Who knew that North Penn buses had the ability to travel into the future?
During the 12th annual Bus to the Future, over 30 members of the North Penn community were able to witness the interworkings of the North Penn School District.
The day included a trip to Montgomery Elementary School, Pennbrook Middle School, the bus garage, North Penn High School, and a final stop at North Montco Technical Career Center.

“[Bus to the Future] gives people a great chance to go learn about the school district,” said Neal Voron. Voron has been on at least a half dozen Bus to the Future tours, mainly because he and his wife, Barbarann, currently have two sons at Pennbrook Middle School, “It helps us understand what’s happening and what’s in store for them when they get [to the high school]. It just makes us feel so connected.”

When the bus arrived at North Penn, the members were greeted with the street beats of the North Penn Marching Band drum line. The group was then divided and was led on separate tours by different administrators acting as tour guides, including Mr. Bill Bartle, Mr. Neil Broxterman, Ms. Amy Schwartz, and Ms. Amy Linn.
All the groups were able to sit in on 15 minutes of different classes that included Art 1, Intro Engineering Design, JROTC, and honors Biology. Some groups were also able to take a sneak peek at the television studio and the planetarium as well.
Christine Schuyler, whose son is a tenth grader at North Penn, said “It was really cool to see what [JROTC] actually does. It was very fun and interesting to watch.” Schuyler went on saying that her whole day has been like that; it’s been fun seeing the students in different grade levels and how they are all different from each other.
Carolann Himes has been to North Penn a lot of other times, including one other time on the Bus to the Future. Himes described how unique of an opportunity Bus to the Future has been for her because it allows her to see the similarities and differences between her high school, Hatboro-Horsham, and North Penn.

Mr. Hynes welcomes community members to NPHS for the Bus to the Future.
Katie Kratz

The high school segment of the Bus to the Future concluded with a breathtaking performance by North Penn’s Chamber Singers. The group’s day ended with a tour of NMTCC and a lunch prepared specially for them.
“It’s a great opportunity for the community to come in and get a glimpse of what’s happening at North Penn High School and throughout the district. It’s neat that [the community] is able to witness the education that’s being provided to today’s students,” commented Burt Hynes, principal of North Penn High School. Hynes also commented that this year’s Bus to the Future seems to have been nothing short of a success.