Seifert to leave North Penn to become Supervisor of Operations at Wissahickon

HANDING+OVER+THE+KEYS%3A+North+Penn+High+Schools+Keith+Seifert+will+be+leaving+North+Penn+after+almost+three+decades+to+pursue+a+new+job+with+the+Wissahickon+School+District.+Shown+here%2C+Seifert+has+been+with+the+NPSD+in+various+capacities+but+has+been+at+NPHS+for+15+years.+

Taylor Young

HANDING OVER THE KEYS: North Penn High School’s Keith Seifert will be leaving North Penn after almost three decades to pursue a new job with the Wissahickon School District. Shown here, Seifert has been with the NPSD in various capacities but has been at NPHS for 15 years.

Taylor Young, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN- After nearly three decades with the North Penn School District, a long tenured employee will be parting from the district in order to take the next, well deserved step in his career. Mr. Keith Seifert, Facilities Supervisor of North Penn High School, is transitioning to the Wissahickon School District as he will assume the highly regarded position of Supervisor of Operations for the district. In a smaller district, his new role will be district wide instead of limited to one building.

After about twenty-eight years of work for the district and almost fifteen of those at the high school, Seifert’s journey with North Penn will come to a commendable halt this week. His experience ranges from the elementary, middle, and high school levels, which makes him that much more knowledgeable about his position.

Seifert’s career at North Penn first started when he was very young and kept advancing over the years.

“I actually started on the summer crew when I was in high school and then I went to district maintenance,” explained Seifert. “I was on district maintenance for just about five years and I left for a short period of time to pursue another interest. I came back and I was at Hatfield Elementary, Walton Farm Elementary, Penndale Middle School, and then here [North Penn High School].”

Reflecting upon his years at North Penn, Seifert noted that the construction of the pool and experiencing the snow storms were among his most significant memories. His knowledge from such experiences and more has grown into a considerable collection.

“I have a whole library of experiences,” said Seifert when commenting on what he has learned from North Penn. “Every little thing has added up to be significant and so it’s not one big moment or adventure. It’s just been a culmination of everything.”

While Seifert may have learned from the job over the years, others have certainly learned from his hard work and dedication to the district. Mr. Burt Hynes, principal at North Penn High School, has worked with Seifert for about fifteen years, three years at Penndale Middle School and twelve years at the high school. Hynes believes that a person in Seifert’s position must be knowledgeable about a lot of different things. Understanding how the mechanical systems work, knowing how to work with people, and having an eye for what should be happening in the building and on the grounds are just some of those things.

“I’ve learned that it takes an individual with many talents and many skills and it’s a real balancing act,” said Hynes. “I have a great admiration for him [Seifert] because he makes it look easy and I have great appreciation too for what he contributes to this building each and every day, whether students are here or not.”

Parting from a district with which one has had much experience is definitely not an easy task. Seifert mentioned that the things he will miss the most about North Penn are the friends and the memories. However, progressing in his career is necessary in order to expose his true talents.

“I think it was just the logical next step in my career,” explained Seifert. “The opportunity presented itself. It’s the next district away so it’s not like I’ll be travelling any extra great distances. It was just the right opportunity at the right time.”

Although Hynes agrees that Seifert is more than deserving of the opportunity at Wissahickon School District, there’s no doubt he will miss working with him.

“It’s just a personal loss,” said Hynes. “I’m used to seeing Mr. Seifert every day. We talk about what’s happening in the building, what’s going on, what issues and concerns he may have, what issues and concerns I may have. The other part is I rely on him so much. He can almost finish my sentences. When I start something, he’ll say ‘Yup. I knew it. Here’s what you want to do,’ or ‘Here’s where you’re going with that.’ That’s going to take some adjustment, not having him here. He’s moving over to Wissahickon School District. He has a promotion there. It’s a well deserved promotion and our loss is certainly their gain. They’re getting an incredibly competent, hardworking, dedicated employee.”

Seifert’s key qualities that Hynes mentioned are not only exemplified in North Penn, but also in the community. Behind the scenes of running the facilities in the high school, Seifert is well known as the chief of Silverdale Fire Company. After over twenty-five years in the fire service and twelve years as fire chief, Seifert proves his endless talents, which make him all the more worthy of the promotion at Wissahickon School District.

When Seifert transitions to his new position, another worthy North Penn employee will fill his shoes Bob Lanetti, who has much experience in the district, will be replacing Seifert. Lanetti has worked at Penndale Middle School, North Penn High School on second shift, and Pennbrook Middle School as the facilities supervisor.

Having worked with Lanetti, Hynes is confident that he will rise to the occasion.

“His style is very similar to Mr. Seifert’s and I’m blessed that I’m able to have Bob Lanetti come here,” explained Hynes. “He’s going to be a valuable resource for us.”

After about twenty-eight years of dedication, North Penn School District can thank Seifert for the impact he has had on the district. His ability to master every task that gets thrown at him, no matter how challenging, has proven his devotion to excel at the job.