Royal evening in Crawford Stadium

Brooke McCoy

Chase Childs and Kate Lombardo celebrate their crowning as 2014-15 Homecoming King and Queen of North Penn High School

Molly Dooling, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Crawford stadium was filled with enthusiasm at the annual homecoming football game on Friday night. The lights were shining, the band was playing, and fans were screaming. Elections took place Friday during all first periods to determine who would become the new Homecoming King and Queen, and the 2014 court was presented to the crowd at halftime, finishing with the announcing of the winners.

The court, composed of seven boys and seven girls, symbolizes students who are actively involved in North Penn activities and organizations throughout the school and show a unique amount of school spirit. Among the group, many different varieties of students are represented. Students from the theater group, the art program, cheerleaders, athletes, and even from the senior class cabinet are embodied in this elite group of candidates.

Last year’s winners, Alex Price and Nicole Garritt, even returned to crown the new king and queen. Garritt, a freshman at Penn State University, says she was shocked when she won last year. “Winning to me just felt like such an honor, but in my eyes we all won because that week was such a fun experience for all the court members.”

During halftime of the football game, each court member was escorted around the track by a date of their choice. The attire was formal; girls in long dresses and boys in suits. Each court member then walked down the middle of the field to a pleasant tune thanks to none other than the Marching Knights, through a pathway made by the color guard. While walking, two announcers talked about what each court member’s ambitions were and how they were involved at North Penn, also including fun facts such as their favorite quotes and foods.
Once the last member had arrived at their position on the field, the crowning began. Starting with second runner up and finishing with first place, the boy’s and then the girl’s winners were announced.

Coming as second runners up were Max Munoz and Yvonne Pham. First runners up were Josh Bower and Shannon Dwyer. And finally, Chase Childs and Kate Lombardo were announced as our new homecoming king and queen.

As Price and Garritt crowned Childs and Lombardo, the whole student section went ballistic, chanting their names and jumping up and down. The whole school was thrilled to finally have a 2014 homecoming king and queen.

Pham, second runner up for the queen spot, was so happy to have the opportunity to be a part of the whole homecoming week, especially the pep rally and crowning ceremony. “It’s not even about winning. It’s about all of this. Like being able to dance in the pep rally and hanging out with all these people. It’s so much fun. I love it.”
Without a doubt, this year’s homecoming went off without a hitch and was truly a huge success. All of the winners were gracious, and those who didn’t place were congratulatory; everything one could want from a homecoming court.