Pregaming, crowning, and dancing highlight Homecoming 2014

NP ROYALTY: Chase Childs and Kate Lombardo were crowned Homecoming King and Queen of North Penn on Friday night. They are shown here along with the first and second runners up in the homecoming voting. The halftime ceremony went off without a hitch as the rains held off until well after the game.

Brooke McCoy

Siena Catanzaro, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Homecoming is a time where the school comes together with alumni and existing students to watch the football game, and crown the new King and Queen, but also to celebrate the spirit and love for North Penn High School. Bleeding blue in the crowd Friday night, the Homecoming Football game did not only involve the game, but other aspects including the Homecoming Pre-Game Party and new this year, the Homecoming Informal Dance. With weeks and weeks of preparation, SGA has been working hard since before the school year started to make this an unforgettable night.

Students were able to buy a Homecoming Pregame Package ticket that included food, ticket to the game, ticket to the dance and the Homecoming tee-shirt. Kicking off the night in the North Penn Courtyard was the Homecoming Pregame Party, with more than 300 tickets sold, the food, music and volleyball nets were ready to go.

“The pregame party is a great way to get the whole student body involved, even if you aren’t in court, you come to the pre-game party to celebrate it. It’s a great way to hang out with friends and if you don’t come to a lot of events, this is one that many people come to,” said SGA senior senator, Emma Kopcho.

PRE GAMER
North Penn students gather at the Homecoming pre-game party in the NPHS courtyard prior to the Knights 58-13 victory over Bensalem in Crawford Stadium.

After students ate their dinner and socialized with friends, they took their seat in the Swamp student section. Fans eagerly waited for the King and Queen announcement during Halftime. After cheers and claps for Chase Childs and Kate Lombardo for being crowned King and Queen, students headed into the senior café to end the night dancing.

“Student Government tried to make Homecoming bigger this year and the big thing we did was this dance. It took a long time and as most students know we haven’t had a dance in 10-20 years so we started in the summer five weeks before school started. We started proposing this idea to administration and we went through proposals after proposals hoping that we could get a dance. Just because more people have asked use to plan more informal dances and more dances and a homecoming dance idea has always come up. We tried to plan a formal one on Saturday, but that didn’t work so our best option was to go informal after the game, so we decided as SGA that would work and administration approved it. We hope that next year it will lead to a better formal dance for homecoming,” said Robert Gaibler, SGA President.

Although skeptical about an informal homecoming dance, many students participated and enjoyed themselves. While dancing along to DJ Shane McElwain’s music, students ate Chick-Fil-A, Philly Pretzels and the original Cookie Corner Cookies. The music was loud, entertaining, and the DJ remixed many songs, giving them a new beat that many students enjoyed.

“A great way to end a great night, it was a good time,” said Homecoming Court member Lauren Marrone. “The music choice was on point, good DJ, quality music, and some awesome dancing.”

HC DANCE 2
DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY – NP students celebrate at the post game homecoming dance on Friday, October 14, 2014.

When a student first thinks of a homecoming dance, an informal in the cafeteria is not the first idea that comes to mind, but with the size of North Penn, any dance or big event is a difficult task. This baby step will help SGA next year when a formal dance is being planned.

“I honestly thought the dance went so much better than we expected. We weren’t expecting too much of a turnout, but the sophomores really brought their game. It’s amazing how awesome they were and the spirit that they brought. All spirit week, everyone brought their A-game and I’m so proud of everyone at North Penn,” said SGA Spirit Co-Chair, Katie Solomon.

The Student body showed their spirit throughout the week on each spirit day and coming out to each event held by SGA. Although other events can lack participation and school spirit, Homecoming is the one event that brings out a majority of students, families and Alumni.