A blessing from “Yeezus?”

Mikaela Mosley, Staff Writer

Kanye West, clothing line, Yeezy Season 1, is nearly sold out after being open to the public for not quite two weeks. In fact, West has already shared his new season, Yeezy Season 2, in September during New York Fashion Week. The line consists of nude colors and body hugging outfits that are overpriced and would seem bizarre to wear on a normal day out. Retail shops such as Barneys New York, Mr. Porter, and SSENSE are bombarded with fans waiting to throw their money at “Yeezus” as he likes to be called to get their utopian look.

Spending $60 is expensive for a pair of sweat pants. Well spending ten times as much or nearly $600 for a pair of sweatpants and $210 for a crop top is borderline insane. Kanye West is worth about $120 million and makes about $18 million a year alone (according to celebritiesmoney.com). It is outrageous that someone who makes so much money in one year has the audacity to take from his disciples that he “cares so dearly about to wear his brand. Not one piece from the collection is less than $100. In fact, if you were to visit a retail store that sells the line with $200, you would walk out with only one an oversized tank. The Yeezy 950 duck boots cost $625 and the prices only grow higher from there. The prices for sweaters and outerwear hit ranges of between$3,000 and $4,000 (some exceeding this price). It’s strange how he likes to compare himself to Jesus, who was a very simple man and who had no worldly riches.

The line itself is only gaining success because of the name associated with the apparel, Kanye West. “It took me being Kanye West to get me this far in fashion,” he shared on his ‘In Camera’ interview. The skin tight and see through clothes that resemble pantyhose and spanx, would seem too revealing and odd to many fashion-loving hearts. They would also be inappropriate for a majority of his fans who are still in high school. Though the clothes are indeed bizarre looking and overpriced, people still spend their money on these trends because Kanye West made them. The artist is dominating the fashion industry not off of his creative talent, but only because he is an icon in the music industry.

“We make something people want so bad it hurts them if they can’t have it,” shared West at his ‘In Camera’ Interview. Well, he is right about one thing. People are hurting to afford the materialistic designer pieces. What the consumer doesn’t know is that they will hurt even worse once they realize they’ve spent all their hard earned cash on this trend that will be here today and gone tomorrow.